After this weekend I'm so exhausted I really need a couple of nice and calm days at work. Yesterday I got up at 5.30 and went to the humanitarian breakfast meeting. Then I wondered around in the city centre with a nasty feeling I was the only young, white, solitary female pedestrian in the entire city. The centre of Nairobi looks like a rather modern city with some skyscrapers and fast food restaurants, but it's quite small. The section of the city that has real asphalt pavements is only a couple of square kilometres.
I was happy to walk around on my own for once and even visit a national history museum and a book store. I never knew I could miss walking so much. I'm mostly being transported everywhere in a car and I'm therefore totally dependent on others.
In the afternoon a collegue took Tuuli and me to a giraffe center. The place was absolutely brilliant, you could hug and kiss the animals and feed them. The giraffes would drool on the visitors and lick them with their enormous blue tongues. My hands were soaked with giraffe saliva. Our nice guide Joseph (in the photo kissing the giraffe) also took us on a nature path.
Finally to complete the fauna tour we had to check out the famous Carnivore restaurant, where I watched my savage friends eat piles of crocodile, ostrich and other nice, innocent little creatures. On the way there we passed Kibera and other poorer quarters. Nairobi still looks really different from everything I've seen before.
Monday, February 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment