Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dark clouds over Nairobi

Today is my first rainy day in Kenya. It's dark, almost as if I were back in Finland. Especially as we are once again having one of these *%&!##!!**! blackouts. I'm beginning to realise they will be part of my normal life in Kenya, and I'm not very pleased with the idea.

In addition to clouds, there's been quite a bit of smoke around. Today I was watching out of my window at work and thinking sometimes this place really looks like a battle ground. I always tend to think something's wrong, so I thought someone's probably burning houses, but actually the locals just use to burn their trash in their backyard, even if they live in the central parts of the city. You never know - maybe some of those dramatic pictures of the slum riots we've seen in the news all January were so smoky just because people were burning trash.

My post about the news yesterday was a bit enigmatic, because I was busy having dinner with a guest of ours, a friend of my landlord's. So for those who didn't follow the news yesterday, I attach a summary of the events from Reuters. I don't feel too scared, but all the domestic and international publicity has been keeping us busy at work.

"Finnish Embassy in Kenya receives attack warning
Wed 6 Feb 2008, 8:44 GMT

NAIROBI (Reuters) - The Finnish Embassy in Kenya said on Wednesday it had received an email warning that it was at risk of a possible attack linked to Somalia.

"We have received a warning through email indicating the threat could come through Ethiopia. The message indicates a Somali connection," Helsinki's envoy, Heli Sirve, told Reuters.

The ambassador said officials at her embassy had contacted Kenya's anti-terrorism police to investigate the email, which was received at the weekend.

She said it was not clear who sent the message, and she did not speculate on why the Finnish mission might be attacked.

Ethiopian military forces backing Somalia's interim government have faced an insurgency in the Somali capital since routing a hardline Islamist movement from Mogadishu a year ago.

Addis Ababa is also fighting separatist guerrillas in its remote eastern Ogaden region, which borders anarchic Somalia."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hieno kuva sinusta, se auttaa ikävään! Toivon enemmän kuvia sinusta, kavereistasi, afrikasta ja eläimistä...

Hanna Sauli said...

Joo, yritän kovasti aktivoitua kuvien otossa! Oon vaan vähän ujostellut kameran kanssa, kun paikalliset tulee heti myymään jotain jos ne näkee kuvia räpsivän ulkomaalaisen, siis oletettavasti turistin. Ja eläimiä en ole vielä itsekään nähnyt paljon yhtään, kun luonnonpuistokäynti aina vaan lykkääntyy autokyydin puutteessa. Mutta kuvia tulee kyllä lisää.