Monday, February 25, 2008

Are we white trash?

Today I had to get home from work at noon because of a terrible migraine. I'm sure it was a punishment for the sins I committed during the weekend. It's tough getting up at six during the week and staying up until six on both Friday and Saturday, not to mention the effect of the cheap drinks. Seems I'll have to adjust my lifestyle a bit.

When I was lying by my friends' pool on Sunday while the housemaid was cleaning up the flat, I thought this is probably what white trash means. I really have to take up some more intelligent pastimes or I'll go crazy - or braindead. Luckily my work offers some counterbalance to the clueless weekends.

In addition to two 8-hour bar tours, sunbathing and restaurants, the weekend included a visit to a snake- and reptile park, another park and a rap- and hiphop festival (which was largely in Swahili so I didn't quite get the political message), as well as lots of walking, finally!

Despite my drunkenness I did learn some interesting things during the weekend. A Kenyan female journalist with two university diplomas who was dating a Danish guy told me that if they were to get married, the guy should buy her dad some cows to pay for the girl. But since the Dane was not that rich, the girl would probably have to pay the cows herself, give them to the guy, who would pass them on to the father, who would then sell the cows to get money.

The price of a girl is calculated using a complicated formula. The girl I chatted with was 28, so she would not price highly because she is considered to have passed the best marrying age in Kenya. On the other hand, education and a pretty body might bring the price up a couple of cows. But as the girl had to buy the cows herself, she told me she wouldn't mind if her value was two cows only. The whole scheme seemed completely absurd, since otherwise the more educated Kenyans have, in my judgement, appeared very similar to Westerners. I don't know whether this should be regarded as just a nice traditional rite of passage comparable to the Finnish graduation ceremonies. Personally I'm quite sure I'd rather not know my own price in cows, even if I was a billion-cow catch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello you billion-cow catch! Kyllä susta varmasti irtoaisi suolainen määrä lehmiä. Mua huvittaa muuten toi white trash -ilmaus, tietääkseni sillä viitataan vaan valkoiseen junttialaluokkaan :D ei UN-neitien drinkkejä pursuilevaan uima-allaselämään! Harkitsen vakavasti visiittiä...

Hanna Sauli said...

Lämpimästi tervetuloa vierailulle! Huoneeni toinen sänky odotteleekin alakuloisen tyhjänä. Epäilemättä white trash sai nyt uuden merkityksen, mutta varmasti junttiyläluokka on vielä turhempaa sakkia kuin junttialaluokka. Nyt aion kyllä vähentää juhlimista, koska viime viikko oli yhtä migreeniputkea.

AK said...

Hahaa, mulla oli mennyt ohi tämä lehmäjuttu. Aivan loistava! Täytyypä muistaa käydä salilla.