I have always wondered why many of the families in Jane Austen's books have so many servants and house staff and are still going through economical hardship. As an intern in Kenya I have fully grasped their situation.
Basically labour is dirty cheap in this country, while most other things cost the same as in Finland. I pay only 10 euros a month to come home from work and find my floor and clothes washed, my bed made and even my socks ironed and arranged in the wardrobe in a touchingly beautiful order. A cleaning lady and three guards at home plus three drivers at work are there to attend my needs. And still at the supermarket I desperately look for the cheapest orange juice.
It's all about keeping up with your peers. And my peers, the muzungus, are mostly in a better economic position than me. I'm expected to act like them, both from the part of Kenyans and from the part of my friends. In fact my salary is the same as that of a local teacher, but I think it seems like bad behaviour to everyone that I'm not spending as much as they think I could spend.
And of course my life would be extremely dangerous if I tried to live like a Kenyan here. It just wouldn't work. I'd probably get raped and killed in a week if I tried to live in a poor area or use matatus after dark. I'd also risk getting all kinds of infections and diseases if I bought my food from street vendors. So most of my money goes to basic things: transport, housing, security and hygiene.
I have mixed feelings about this. Of course Kenyans, too, suffer from the lack of security, hygiene etc. So shouldn't I spend my money on something more essential than my own comfort? But then again, the money I spend on services goes quite directly to the Kenyans. In a way muzungus are expected to have a cleaning lady and a guard: it's sheer income distribution. Not a very fair and functioning kind of income distribution in comparison to the Nordic model, but at least it works better than robbery for everyone involved.
Today I went to look for a new flat in Westlands where the embassy and my friends are to cut down taxi costs. The studio I've been considering is big and the house has a swimming pool and a gym. I think I couldn't care less to have a swimming pool, but there it is on the backyard of every damned house in Westlands. This country is not designed for middle income people.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Moi sisko! Luin vihdoin blogisi. Olen tosi iloinen puolestasi, näyttää siltä, että Kenian-reissustasi tulee tosi ihmeellinen kokemus!
En silti malta olla väittelemättä kanssasi... siis se, että muzunguilla on siivoojat ja vartijat, on "sheer income redistribution"? Ehkei nyt sentään... Mutta kenialaisen yhteiskunnan epäkohdat eivät ole sinun vikasi, eikä siitä varmaan seuraisi mitään hyvää, jos yrittäisit toimia maan tapojen vastaisesti.
Pidäpä huolta itsestäsi,
t. Joose
Niin no, mikä sitten on tulonjakoa. Elleivät muzungut ostelisi ylellisyystuotteita, kuten siivouspalveluita (joita en itse varsinaisesti koe tarvitsevani, kuten en myöskään niitä satoja korviksia, kirahvipatsaita ja afrohuiveja, joita minulle tuputetaan iänikuisella myyntipuheella "support me and my family") niin sitten ylimääräiset rahat varmaan jäisivät perinnöksi lapsille tai valuisivat muutenkin rikkaiden tavaratalonpitäjien ja ylikansallisten firmojen taskuihin. Harmi vaan että täällä minulle tarpeellisimpia asioita tuntuvat kauppaavan ne, joilla on jo valmiiksi kohtalaisesti rahaa. Ehkä paras tapa tukea täkäläistä taloutta järkevästi olisi perustaa firma ja palkata siihen työvoimaa tekemään jotain hyödyllistä. Vaikkapa kunnon bussiyhtiö.
Tulonjakoa ovat varmaan kaikki tavat jakaa tulot, esim. että kaikki kuuluu yhdelle tyypille. Mutta luulisin, että yleensä sanoilla "income redistribution" viitataan vastikkeettomiin tulonsiirtoihin.
Mut joo, olen samaa mieltä, että paras tapa kehittää maata olisi perustaa rehellisesti toimivia yrityksiä, ja toimia muutenkin vastuullisesti ja rakentavasti. Ja myös se, että ostaa hyödyllisiä palveluita reiluun hintaan, on vastuullista yhteisön elämään osallistumista. Ei tosiaan kannata potea huonoa omaatuntoa siitä, että palkkaa siivoojan yms.
Post a Comment