Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Queen of Africa goes Lion King



There is now peace in Kenya, at least on paper, and everyone here seems to believe in the pact. The atmosphere is extremely relieved. Kenya will not be the next Rwanda. I never thought it would, but I am now getting quite confident about my stand as embassies are dropping their travel bans one by one.

I surely celebrated the peace well. After I had moved my stuff to the new flat I and six other Nordic interns headed to Masai Mara, the Northern part of the Serengeti natural reserve. If I wasn't in love with Africa yet, I surely am now. The sceneries were so breathtakingly beautiful that I have no words or photos to deliver the impression. Some of the photos are really pretty, but what they don't capture is the ecstatic feeling of space and freedom you get in an enormous open savanna bordered by some distant mountains and hills. Observing it from the top of an open-roof Safari-car is the perfect Queen of Africa -experience: your hair floating in the wind as the zebras and lions roam around you on vast plains.

















Around the game reserve are the pictoresque terrains of the Masai warriors, who still lead a traditional pastoralist life in huts made out of cow dung. As we drove through the exotic landscape the Masais stood by the road gazing at us in their colourful clothes and surrounded by their cattle. I am sure I have never seen a prettier landscape.

We visited a Masai village and a real dung hut, just like the ones I've seen in geography books at primary school, and at night we sat at a bonfire watching traditional Masai dances accompanied with hypnotic African singing.







Our ridiculously luxorious but relatively cheap life continued at the camp with three delicious three-course meals a day and lovely tent-like cottages. Our eco-fair trade tent village was an attraction in itself, with open-air showers built under trees full of screaming baboons. All in all this was quite certainly the best tourist attraction I've ever been to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, kuulostaa NIIN ihanalta! Mutta missä kohden kohtasitte sen angry elephantin? Ja milloin skypetetään: ensi viikolla, kun mäkin oon taas kotiutunut?

Hanna Sauli said...

Ai niin, angry elephant! Menimme autolla vähän liian lähelle yhtä isoa norsua, ja se suuttui ja lähti hyökkäykseen. Se yritti ilmeisesti työntää auton nurin. Onneksi auto oli juuri ja juuri nopeampi! Olin kyllä aika huolissani kun katselin auton takaikkunasta puolen metrin päässä heiluvia syöksyhampaita. Jälkeenpäin ajatellen se oli kuitenkin safarin huippukohtia.

En tiedä miten pian saan kotiin nettiyhteyden, toivottavasti ensi viikolla. Sitten varmasti skypetetään!

José María Garrido said...

Hanna, qué tal? Es increible. He estado mirando tu blog y creo que tienes muchísima suerte de poder vivir esta esperiencia. Es genial. Debe ser totalmente distinto a los países occidentales. Riie me ha dicho que te va muy bien. Me alegro mucho.

Disfruta!!! Txema.

Hanna Sauli said...

Hola Txema!!! Espero que tu estes bien tambien! Que tal Madrid? Estoy de acuerdo, tengo muchisima suerte por poder vivir esta experiencia. Todo es perfecto aqui, hay muchas cosas fascinantes que hacer y ver. Por cierto me alegro mucho que tu tambien lees mi blog, entonces tengo un razon mas de continuarlo en ingles. Tengo que escribir algo nuevo pronto. Mil besos!